Modern Day Heroes and Survivors

Two weeks ago, our dearest nation, Philippines, particularly in Visayas Region was tremendously devastated by the Super Typhoon Haiyan or locally named, Yolanda. The dreams of the people from Tacloban City, Leyte, Aklan, Cebu were shattered, their peaceful lives were destroyed. Nagkalat na mga basura, nawawalang mahal sa buhay, mga patay na taong nasa mga kalsada, nagugutom na mga sikmura na walang makain o mainom, looting, mga batang di makapaglaro, mga kapamilya sa iba pang parte ng Pilipinas na nag-aalala, mga Pilipinong nagtulungan, sinising gobyerno… Ilan lamang iyon sa mga nabasa at narinig sa mga balita. Ilan lamang iyon sa mga gumising sa mga tahimik naming buhay. It breaks our hearts seeing our brothers and sisters in Visayas, having nothing – no food, no electricity, no water, and no shelter. It opened our eyes that even if we are sanay na sa mga bagyo, super typhoon with a signal number 4 is existing, ready to destroy our properties, dreams and even lives. But in positive note, it also opened other nations’ eyes and minds that Filipinos are strong and hopeful amidst the super typhoon. Yolanda may be made their dreams broken but not their spirit. Not only the minds and eyes of other nations were open, thanks to their big hearts for helping our dear country to face what the ST did to our kababayans in Visayas.

Thanks also to the big hearts of my fellow Filipinos, who may have more or less in this life, but willingly shared what they have – time, resources, love. I witnessed all of that when I and my workmates decided to take our part as a person and a Filipino. We agreed to go to DSWD on November 17, 2013 to help in repacking those relief goods, even in just a simple and little way, alam naming malaking tulong na iyon para sa mga kapatid natin. Funny indeed, a friend of Kuya Anwar, texted him that volunteers for repacking is so many. Mas madami pa daw sa i-re-repack ang dami ng volunteers! (Praise God sa madaming matataba ang puso sa pagtulong!)

So they decided to just go to Villamor Airbase, to be one of those volunteers in Oplan Salubong at Oplan Hatid. Personally, I really didn’t know what would I be able to contribute. I don’t have any experience with volunteering work na direct pa sa mga nasalantas. What I only want is to help. Kuya Anwar just told me to prepare games or any kids’ activities. Before going to the site, Kuya Anwar, Ate Evelyn, Domz, Kuya Marvin, Kuya Red’s family and I, went to a grocery store in Pasig to buy some goodies and toys for the kids. Hala! Silently, kinabahan talaga ko because I know handling kids is not my mastery. Haha. But it also gives me excitement to play and give joy to the kids in simple way.

As we enter to the site, I was shocked, witnessing my fellow Filipinos, having their family day, friends’ or group date, in a place doing random act of kindness. Alam nyo yun, I personally saw the spirit of “NO FILIPINO SHOULD BE LEFT BEHIND”.  Also witnessed those soldiers, Filipino and foreign, doing their jobs to protect the people, without using their guns. I get teary eyed when we welcomed the people from Tacloban with applause and big smiles on our faces, kahit na ang init at nakakainip ang maghintay ng C-130.  J

As we do the reason why we’re at Villamor, it made me sad because the grandstand is not a proper place to do the things we planned. There were so many people from Tacloban and many volunteers also – counsels, marshalls, food distributors, food runners, etc. There is no place to set up the television that Kuya Red brought; no place to have games for the kids. So we chose to packed the goodies and toys, and hand it out na lang sa mga bata.  As I hand it out to some kids, di napigilan ng aking bibig na makipag-chikahan sa ibang matatanda kahit very light lang. I know I am a weak person, I get easily cry in sad or devastating news but I don’t know, di ko alam kung paano ko natagalan ang makipag-kwentuhan at makinig sa kanilang mga kwento, makipag-ngitian kahit na naiiyak na ko, makipag-high five sa mga bata kahit na nakakalungkot isipin na sa murang edad nila naranasan ang ganung pangyayari.

That Sunday, it made me more proud that I am Filipino. I am thankful to God that He made me one of the citizens of this beloved Philippines. Witnessing the strength and courage of those devastated brothers and sisters made me appreciated na di ka dapat magpapalugmok sa lungkot, takot, o pagkasira ng ibang bagay sa buhay mo, kasi ang importante, yung pagiging thankful mo sa Kanya na binigyan ka pa Niya ng chance to live again.  The unquestionable kindness of the volunteers who gave their time, effort, resources and love also made me realized that in giving, hindi importante yung katayuan mo sa buhay, o yung dami o kunti ng binigay mo. The most important is the sincerity of your heart to share what you have.

Thank you Kuya Anwar, Kuya Red and family, Ate Evelyn and Domz for sharing with me this experience.

As I end my blog entry, I would like to request you to add in your prayers the following:
1.       
  1. Our dear brothers and sisters who survived the Super Typhoon Yolanda, to not only survived the typhoon but also the life after that. That they may be more hopeful and thankful.
  2. The soldiers, that they may be more protective to the people, lalo na sa mga laban na di kailangan gumamit ng baril.
  3. The relief workers and volunteers, na di sila magsawang magbigay pa ng pagmamahal sa mga nangangailan.
  4. The government, na maging mabilis sila sa pagtulong, maging honest and faithful sila sa pinili nilang trabaho.
  5. The Filipino people, na mas maging mapagmahal at mapagbigay kahit na walang kalamidad.
Thank you for your prayers. Thank you for the love, effort, resources and time you've shared to our brothers and sisters in Visayas.


Sorry naman sa malaking ngiti namin kasi ang saya lang. Sorry sa groupie ha pero di kami nakiki-in. Nagpapa-in lang kami. Nagpapa-INspire lang kami sa inyo na tumulong kahit sa maliit na paraan lang, kahit kunting oras lang. Promise. Di nyo mapi-feel ang pagod o gutom. Mapifeel nyo lang, punong-puno ng saya ang puso nyo. Sigurado ko dyan. 

Comments

Popular Posts